FREQUENCY OF POST-OPERATIVE SURGICAL WOUND INFECTION IN PATIENTS AT AYUB TEACHING HOSPITAL, ABBOTTABAD, PAKISTAN
BACKGROUND:Surgical wound infection is the most common nosocomial infection. The surgical wound infection frequency and rate depends upon certain risk factors such as associated medical condition (diabetes, hypertension, antibiotics use, surgical procedures, and post-operative hospital stay). The aim of this study was to determine the frequency of surgical wound infections at a tertiary care hospital.
METHODS:This was a 6 months cross sectional study conducted in surgical unit of Ayub teaching hospital, Abbottabad. During the study period data was collected on a predesigned questionnaire for all the patients who underwent surgery in the surgical ward of Ayub teaching hospital. 200 patients were selected by non-probability convenient sampling technique. Infected cases were identified using CDC, USA definition for surgical site infections. SPSS version 16 was used to analyze collected data.
RESULTS:62 (31.0%) out of 200 patients had developed surgical wound infection while the remaining 138 (69.0%) patients had no sign of surgical wound infection. The frequency of surgical wound infection was found high in elective procedures 36 (18.0%) as compared to emergency surgical procedures 26 (13.0%). Frequency of surgical wound infection in males was 41 (20.5%) while females had 21 (10.5%).
CONCLUSION:Surgical wound infections prolong the hospital stay, increases the treatment cost, bed occupancy in ward and patient morbidity. Age, Diagnosis/reason for operation, electivity of procedure and associated medical conditions were identified as the main contributing factors towards the development of surgical wound infections
KEYWORDS:Surgical wound infection, Fever, Wound discharge.
All Publication rights reserved with the editorial board, PJHS. No individual or organization is allowed to copy or reproduce any meterial publication in this journal without the permission of Chief Editor.